Welcome to once again another book review!
I received this book via Netgalley. This does not affect my views of the book. All opinions stated are unbiased.
STATS FOR THE BOOK
Length: 309 Pages
Publication Date: April 2nd, 2019
Goodreads Rating: 3.93 Stars out of 136 Ratings
SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS
“A sound awakens her. There’s darkness all around. And then she’s falling…
She has no idea who or where she is. Or why she’s dead. The only clue to her identity hangs around her neck: a single rusted key. This is how she and the others receive their names—from whatever belongings they had when they fell out of their graves. Under is a place of dirt and secrets, and Key is determined to discover the truth of her past in order to escape it.
She needs help, but who can she trust? Ribbon seems content in Under, uninterested in finding answers. Doll’s silence hints at deep sorrow, which could be why she doesn’t utter a word. There’s Smoke, the boy with a fierceness that rivals even the living. And Journal, who stays apart from everyone else. Key’s instincts tell her there is something remarkable about each of them, even if she can’t remember why.
Then the murders start; bodies that are burnt to a crisp. After being burned, the dead stay dead. Key is running out of time to discover who she was—and what secret someone is willing to kill to keep hidden—before she becomes the next victim…”
WHAT I LIKE
- The cover is stunning! It’s a cover that you’ll see and just want to know what the story is about. The cover is always the first thing people judge so having a beautiful cover was what drew me to this book.
- It had some creepy sort of mystery elements. It did not rely too heavily on the mystery which made the book better.
- The intrigue didn’t stop.
- It’s original. Now I know, I know, a lot of people think nothing can be original in the book world anymore but lemme tell ya. The world of Under is so intriguing and well thought out. It’s very imaginative and gives the sense of The Wizard of Oz and a Tim Burton movie combined but at the same time, it doesn’t. This is a world difficult to explain and that my friends are what makes it that much more unique.
WHAT I DON’T LIKE
Honestly, there’s not much about this book that I didn’t like, but here they are!
- To start, there were some plot twists that were too predictable. It took away from the mystery aspect at times.
- The opening of the book goes kind of slow which really gets boring. It took me a couple of days to force myself to get further in the book just because I kept getting so distracted.
I really enjoyed this book but going into it, you just have to be wary of how slow paced it can be at times. The book itself is truly wonderful if you can push past that boring beginning.
It’s one of those books that if you don’t like fantasy, you will not enjoy this book. The fantasy elements are what drive the main storyline which for me, I loved. Being taken into a world that isn’t real is just so calming.
I’d recommend this book to people who have the time to invest in reading the book.
Overall, I would give this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I may love the atmosphere but the pace is what really prevented me from giving this book 4 stars.
Thank you for reading! Have a great day!
Tell me, is it easy for you to get invested in slow-paced books? Do you like slow beginnings or do you like the books to jump right into the story?